《亂世佳人》《教父》譯者陳良廷先生辭世,享年91歲

2020年4月23日,中國翻譯界又少了一個溫厚儒雅、低調淡泊,卻成績斐然的大家——陳良廷。

《亂世佳人》《教父》譯者陳良廷先生辭世,享年91歲

陳良廷、劉文瀾夫婦,二人均為著名翻譯家

他的名字,與一長串膾炙人口的英美現當代文學翻譯作品聯絡在一起:《亂世佳人》《愛倫·坡短篇小說集》《海明威短篇小說全集》《熱鐵皮屋頂上的貓》《納尼亞傳奇》《教父》《馬耳他黑鷹》……影響了幾代中國讀者。

《亂世佳人》《教父》譯者陳良廷先生辭世,享年91歲

《亂世佳人》《教父》譯者陳良廷先生辭世,享年91歲

《亂世佳人》《教父》譯者陳良廷先生辭世,享年91歲

《亂世佳人》《教父》譯者陳良廷先生辭世,享年91歲

好在,文字比生命更長久。今天特別推送陳良廷先生翻譯的海明威的一個著名短篇——《簡單的調查》,以此悼念中國資深翻譯家陳良廷先生。

A Simple Enquiry

簡單的調查

[美]海明威 著 陳良廷 譯

Outside, the snow was higher than the window。 The sunlight came in through the window and shone on a map on the pineboard wall of the hut。 The sun was high and the light came in over the top of the snow。 A trench had been cut along the open side of the hut, and each clear day the sun, shining on the wall, reflected heat against the snow and widened the trench。 It was late March。 The major sat at a table against the wall。 His adjutant sat at another table。

屋外,雪堆高於窗戶。陽光透過窗戶,照在小屋松木板牆上的地圖上面。太陽高高的,亮光從雪堆頂上照進屋來。沿著小屋空曠的一邊挖了一條戰壕,每當晴天,太陽照在牆上,熱氣反射在雪堆上,戰壕拓得更寬了。已是三月下旬。少校坐在靠牆一張桌旁。他的副官坐在另一張桌旁。

Around the major’s eyes were two white circles where his snow-glasses had protected his facefrom the sun on the snow。 The rest of his face had been burned and then tanned and then burned through the tan。 His nose was swollen and there were edges of loose skin where blisters had been。 While he worked at the papers he put the fingers of his left hand into a saucer of oil and then spread the oil over his face, touching it very gently with the tips of his fingers。 He was very careful to drain his fingers on the edge of the saucer so there was only a film of oil on them, and after he had stroked his forehead and his cheeks, he stroked his nose very delicately between his fingers。 When he had finished he stood up, took the saucer of oil and went into the small room of the hut where he slept。 “I’m going to take a little sleep,” he said to the adjutant。 In that army an adjutant is not a commissioned officer。 “You will finish up。”

少校雙眼周圍有兩個白圈,那是戴了雪地眼鏡,使臉上這部位才沒受到雪地陽光的損傷。臉上其他部位都曬傷了,曬黑了,然後由於曬黑而曬傷了。他的鼻子也腫了,長過水皰的地方露出脫落的表皮。他處理檔案的時候,一邊伸出左手指頭在油盞裡蘸著,然後把油抹遍臉部,用指尖非常輕柔地摩著。他非常仔細地在油盞邊把手指瀝乾,所以手指上只有薄薄一層油,他摩了前額和兩頰,又非常細緻地以指縫摩鼻子。摩完了,他就站起身,拿了油盞,走進他睡覺的小房間裡去。“我要睡一會兒,”他對副官說。在那支部隊裡,副官不是委任的軍官。“你把這辦完。”

“Yes, signor maggiore,” the adjutant answered。 He leaned back in his chair and yawned。 He took a paper-covered book out of the pocket of his coat and opened it; then laid it down on the table and lit his pipe。 He leaned forward on the table to read and puffed at his pipe。 Then he closed the book and put it back in his pocket。 He had too much paper-work to get through。 He could not enjoy reading until it was done。 Outside, the sun went behind a mountain and there was no more light on thewall of the hut。 A soldier came in and put some pine branches, chopped into irregular lengths, into the stove。 “Be soft, Pinin,” the adjutant said to him。 “The major is sleeping。”

“是,少校大人,”副官答道。他往椅背一靠,打個呵欠。他從衣袋裡掏出一本平裝本書,開啟來,放在桌上,點上菸斗。他趴在桌上看書,抽著煙。接著他合上書,把書放回衣袋裡。他的案頭工作太多了,辦也辦不完。他要辦完才能看書。屋外,太陽落到山背後了,屋子牆上沒有亮光了。一個士兵進來,把砍得長短不一的松枝放進爐裡。“輕點兒,皮寧,”副官跟他說。“少校在睡覺。”(原文是義大利語)

Pinin was the major’s orderly。 He was a dark-faced boy, and he fixed the stove, putting the pinewood in carefully, shut the door, and went into the back of the hut again。 The adjutant went on with his papers。

皮寧是少校的勤務兵,是個黑臉小子,他仔細地把松柴放進爐裡,弄弄好,關上門,又走到後屋去了。副官繼續忙他的檔案。

“Tonani,” the major called。

“託納尼,”少校叫道。

“Signor maggiore?”

“少校大人?”

“Send Pinin in to me。”

“叫皮寧來見我。”

“Pinin!” the adjutant called。 Pinin came into the room。 “The major wants you,” the adjutant said。

“皮寧!”副官叫道。皮寧進屋。“少校要找你,”副官說。

Pinin walked across the main room of the hut toward the major’s door。 He knocked on the halfopened door。 “Signor maggiore?”

皮寧走過小屋正房,朝少校的房門走去。他在半開半掩的門上敲敲。“少校大人?”

“Come in,” the adjutant heard the major say, “and shut the door。”

“進來,”副官聽見少校說,“關上門。”

Inside the room the major lay on his bunk。 Pinin stood beside the bunk。 The major lay with hishead on the rucksack that he had stuffed with spare clothing to make a pillow。 His long, burned, oiled face looked at Pinin。 His hands lay on the blankets。

少校在房裡躺在鋪上。皮寧站在鋪旁。少校的腦袋枕在帆布揹包上,揹包裡塞滿替換衣服權充枕頭使用。那張曬傷了、塗著油的長臉看著皮寧。兩手擱在毯子上。

“You are nineteen?” he asked。

“你十九歲了?”他問。

“Yes, signor maggiore。”

“是的,少校大人。”

“You have ever been in love?”

“你有沒有戀愛過?”

“How do you mean, signor maggiore?”

“你這話是什麼意思,少校大人?”

“In love—with a girl?”

“跟個姑娘——談戀愛?”

“I have been with girls。”

“我有過幾個姑娘。”

“I did not ask that。 I asked if you had been in love—with a girl。”

“我不是問這個。我問你有沒有跟個姑娘——談過戀愛?”

“Yes, signor maggiore。”

“談過,少校大人。”

“You are in love with this girl now? You don’t write her。 I read all your letters。”

“你現在還愛她?你不給她寫信。你的信我全看過了。”

“I am in love with her,” Pinin said, “but I do not write her。”

“我愛她的,”皮寧說,“不過我沒給她寫信。”

“You are sure of this?”

“這點你肯定嗎?”

“I am sure。”

“我肯定。”

“Tonani,” the major said in the same tone of voice, “can you hear me talking?”

“託納尼,”少校用同樣的聲調說,“你聽得見我說話嗎?”

There was no answer from the next room。

隔壁房裡沒有答腔。

“He can not hear,” the major said。 “And you are quite sure that you love a girl?”

“他聽不見,”少校說。“你十分肯定自己愛著一個姑娘。”

“I am sure。”

“我肯定。”

“And,” the major looked at him quickly, “that you are not corrupt?”

“那,”少校趕快看了他一眼,“你沒變壞?”

“I don’t know what you mean, corrupt。”

“我不懂你說變壞是什麼意思。”

“All right,” the major said。 “You needn’t be superior。”

“好吧,”少校說。“你用不著自以為了不起。”

Pinin looked at the floor。 The major looked at his brown face, down and up him, and at his hands。 Then he went on, not smiling, “And you don’t really want—” the major paused。 Pinin looked at the floor。 “That your great desire isn’t really—” Pinin looked at the floor。 The major leaned his head back on the rucksack and smiled。 He was really relieved: life in the army was too complicated。 “You’re a good boy,” he said。 “You’re a good boy, Pinin。 But don’t be superior and be careful some one else doesn’t come along and take you。”

皮寧看著地板。少校對著他那張曬黑的臉上上下下打量一番,又看看他雙手。這才臉無笑容地接下去說,“你並非真要——”少校頓住話頭。皮寧看著地板。“你最大的心願並非真正——”皮寧看著地板。少校又把腦袋枕到揹包上,笑了笑。他真正放心了:部隊裡的生活太複雜了。“你是個好小子,”他說。“你是個好小子,皮寧。可是別自以為了不起,小心別讓人家來要你命。”

Pinin stood still beside the bunk。

皮寧一動不動站在鋪旁。

“Don’t be afraid,” the major said。 His hands were folded on the blankets。 “I won’t touch you。You can go back to your platoon if you like。 But you had better stay on as my servant。 You’ve less chance of being killed。”

“別害怕,”少校說。他兩手交叉,擱在毯子上。“我不會碰你。你願意可以回部隊裡去。不過你最好留下來當我勤務兵。送命的機會小一些。”

“Do you want anything of me, signer maggiore?”

“你還有什麼吩咐,少校大人?”

“No,” the major said。 “Go on and get on with whatever you were doing。 Leave the door openwhen you go out。”

“沒了,”少校說。“走吧,有什麼事要辦就去辦。出去時讓門開著。”

Pinin went out, leaving the door open。 The adjutant looked up at him as he walked awkwardlyacross the room and out the door。 Pinin was flushed and moved differently than he had moved when he brought in the wood for the fire。 The adjutant looked after him and smiled。 Pinin came in with more wood for the stove。 The major, lying on his bunk, looking at his cloth-covered helmet and his snow-glasses that hung from a nail on the wall, heard him walk across the floor。 The little devil, he thought, I wonder if he lied to me。

皮寧讓門開著就出去了,副官抬眼看著。他尷尬地走過正房出去。皮寧漲紅著臉,跟剛才抱著柴禾進屋時動作不一樣。副官目送著他,笑了。皮寧又抱了些柴禾進屋。少校躺在鋪上,望著掛在牆壁釘子上自己那頂遮著布的鋼盔和雪地眼鏡,聽見他在地板上走過的腳步聲。這小鬼,不知他是不是對我說了謊,他心下想。

(本文選自《海明威短篇小說全集》)

TAG: his少校MajorhePinin